Sunday 19 May 2013

Negotiated Study Two: Final Animation and Summary

This is the final storyboard






This is my final animation!...





Overall I'm very pleased with the end result of my animation. Despite it being a time consuming process I'm really glad that I chose to use the technique I did, by traditionally drawing out the frames, using paint to render it and digitally editing to put frames together and polish each frame off. By using this technique it means that the animation feels organic just as the body is. The paint also gives a really good feel of fluidity in the various liquids and organic matter within the organs.
I ended up cutting out the brain as I didn't feel that it was relevant to the subject matter of the animation and didn't feel it had any purpose. I also shortened the clots scene as I felt that it would have gone on for too long and would have lost the audiences attention.
At the end I added some text informing the audience that 'In the UK one person dies of a heart attack every seven minutes.'  I found this fact on the British Heart Foundation website and found this to be quite shocking. I found it to be very fitting with my animation and so added it to the end after the heart stops to try and make the audience think. I'm really happy with how I animated the text and how I've highlighted the main points. Hopefully this will help the words stick in the audiences heads.
I'm really pleased with the soundtrack, I've used a section of the final track that Chris Lacey made. I think he did a brilliant job on it and it sets the mood perfectly for my animation. I was particularly pleased that I could still use it even though I had changed my animation.

With the project overall I feel there were many things that I could have done better, one thing would have been making decisions. At the start I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to create and achieve. But after doing some more research after initial ideas and concepts were drawn up I changed my mind about the visuals, I decided that instead of using different shapes to represent different organs I would use realistic drawings as I found them to be quite abstract in them selves. I was very happy about this but as soon as this happened I had tonnes of different ideas thrown at me, not just on what it would be about but  the purpose of the film too. I was always quite adamant that I wanted to create something abstract, something that wasn't obvious as to what it was, something to make the audience think and make their own interpretations, yet still have a subtle message behind it. It would have been aimed at festivals, for people who had an interest in animation/art. For ages I was tooing and throwing, undecided as to what to do, this is where I feel that I lost a lot time with this project. In the end I decided to carry on with what I initially wanted to do, create an abstract animation about the life of a body. 
After I had made the animatic it became quite clear that it wasn't quite working, it was too long and it was very tedious to watch as there were many things that were being repeated. Even after I had cut it down once more it was still quite boring to watch. I feel that my down fall was my stubbornness, I had decided on what I wanted to do and so was going to do it, even though many times I knew it wasn't working. Now that I've finished the project I feel that I should have maybe looked at doing a film on heart attacks earlier on instead of a couple of weeks before the deadline, this way I would have had a lot more time to think about how I was going to do it and it may have been a lot stronger and better thought out. I do feel that the narrative isn't as strong as I would have liked it, but again this was due to the quick change in idea.
If I had had more time to create the animation I would have taken more care in the painting of the frames and I would have painted the blood as I initially had  when trying out the painted style. 
Not only did I waste time but I underestimated how long animating particular scenes would take and therefore the whole projects time management was terrible, despite making schedules.


No comments:

Post a Comment